When you go to the dentist’s office for treatment, the people that you interact with the most are usually not the dentists! Dental Assistants are a very integral part of a dental office, and without them, the office would not work properly! The role of an assistant is vital in good patient care! So, why should you become a dental assistant?
We can think of many reasons, but here are the top five:
- Job Variety– There are many different specialties in dentistry, from General Dentistry to Orthodontics, from Periodontics to Pedodontics. Within dental specialties, there are different procedures and treatments. All of this variety makes for a fun and exciting career in dental assisting because you are not doing the same exact things every day. There is never a dull day in dental assisting!
- Continual Learning– With dental technology constantly changing, and advancements in dental procedures and treatments occurring regularly, as an assistant you are always learning and growing to keep up in your field. There are constant opportunities to learn and improve. You will consistently expand your knowledge as you work each day.
- Patient Interaction– As a dental assistant, one of your main responsibilities is to interact with patients. You will be able to talk to them and help them to feel comfortable in the dental chair. You will be there to answer their questions and educate them. You will act as a liaison between patients and the dentist. You will see new and different patients each day, build relationships with returning patients, and get to know people in your community.
- Competitive Salary– According to the US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual income for dental assistants in the United States as of May 2015 was $35,980, or $17.30 hourly. The annual income range is from about $25,000 to $50,000 annually depending on many different factors.
- Job Demand– The job of a dental assistant is an important one. A dentist cannot do their job without a capable assistant. Dentists are needed by society. There is a constant need for dental treatment, thus there is a constant need for dental assistants. At any given time, there are many job openings for dental assistants that could be yours for the taking!
There are many more reasons to become a dental assistant. It is a very rewarding and fulfilling career. If good pay, job security, gaining knowledge, and helping people are on the top of your priority list, then dental assisting might be the career for you! Call for more information about how you can make a career in dental assisting a reality!